Jury awards Bolingbrook woman $11.5 million in lawsuit against Edward Hospital in Naperville
November 4, 2010
A DuPage County jury has awarded $11.5 million to a Bolingbrook woman who lost her unborn baby and her small intestine because of negligence by staff at Edward Hospital in Naperville, the woman’s attorney said Tuesday.
Sabine Miller, 30, had been taken to the hospital on the night of Nov. 30, 2004, with abdominal pains. She was 14 weeks pregnant at the time and admitted to the postpartum unit, where nurses failed to monitor her deteriorating condition and that of her unborn baby, attorney Robert Strelecky said.
Miller, a native of Austria, told medical personnel that she had a prior medical condition; when she was 4 years old, she suffered a twisted intestine.
It took several hours and her losing consciousness for medical personnel to move her to the intensive care unit. By then, her small intestine was beyond saving and her baby was dead, Strelecky said.